design

The weekend of doom

  • by

In my last entry I talked about the suggestions that Theo provided from his perspective as a nurse and researcher. They were very helpful, but lead to some rather major layout changes. In particular, the to do: “I will need more space in the carousel/timeline”. This led to what I nicknamed in my GitHub posts as the Weekend of Hell, I am softening this within the context of this journal entry to be the Weekend of Doom.
Read More »The weekend of doom

Charty McCharterson

  • by

I knew that all of that work that I did on polls would come in handy at some point. The time arrived, as displaying data was something that seemed important from the beginning, to support the goals for the project. I wanted to support the information about ‘UK smart device ownership’ with some data.
Having spent quite a bit of time looking at polling options and trying things out, I felt sure that the the Google Charts api (n.d.) would give me the level of interactivity and customisation required.
Read More »Charty McCharterson

Navigation

  • by

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
― Douglas Adams (1989, p. 124)

So up until the 24th of December I dallied with solutions for the navigation, but I had not really tackled the core issue. It was truly the elephant in the room, as so much of the mobile responsiveness that I hoped for my site hinged on the navigation working smoothly. I spent quite a bit of time looking around the web for inspiration, usually finding elaborate JQuery scripted examples; much as I found with the search for sliders/carousels. I really wanted to build it myself and resolved to create with CSS and JavaScript.
Read More »Navigation

Cellular concerns

  • by

I have been plugging away at the portfolio site with the primary aim of getting a semi-functional prototype version to Dr. Theo Fotis on Monday 12th of December. There is a still a huge amount of stuff to do, fix-up and streamline I will add these tasks to my Trello board.
This journal entry provides a rundown of the decisions that I have this week.
Read More »Cellular concerns

Progress on the grid and layout

  • by

This week I completed some major fix-up on my grid. Remember when I thought that it was almost fixed? Well I was wrong. In fact I ended up recalculating the whole thing and basing it on a single column being 65px or 6.5% in width. Happily it is now working exactly as I need it to (Mozilla Developer Network saved the day again<fn>https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/CSS/CSS_layout/Grids#Creating_a_fluid_grid</fn> – I am going to up my donation this year).
Read More »Progress on the grid and layout

Timeline tool identified

  • by

After a lot of consideration, struggle and annoyance I finally gave in and decided to use a pre-existing tool for the timeline section of my front page. I looked a few different contenders in this final pass. Essentially, I came to the realisation that I would not be able to learn the requisite Javascript in order to build something sophisticated enough from scratch. I did a bit of trying out in this jsFiddle project, but kept running into deadends (this project is in a partially built state – so please do not judge me – the javascript is largely erased by this point): https://jsfiddle.net/43gg6x3v/7/
Read More »Timeline tool identified

Wireframes 2+

  • by

This post displays iterations of wireframe 2. In this wireframe, I took ideas from wireframes 0 and 1, but removed the next buttons in favour of a timeline at the top of the page. The top section of the page, containing the timeline, is shown as overflow (beyond the width) of the page to indicate the dynamic content. Clicking on the years, and circles on the timeline is intended to swap out the slide content and information in the centre of the timeline section. The arrow buttons on the left and right were also intended to switch between the content slides. These buttons ideally would also be operable via arrow keys on the keyboard.
Read More »Wireframes 2+