A Few Bug Fixes
I will write a longer post about the investigatory work that I have completed for my portfolio very soon. However in the meantime, I wanted to quickly outline some bug fixes in my child theme. Full details can be found in my GitHub repository here.
These changes were based on reports from the:
- W3C Markup Validation Service (W3C, 2016)
- IDI Web Accessibility Checker (AChecker, 2016)
I finally managed to fix the label tag issue (mentioned in the “contenders” section in my last post). It was missing the id, so once I added id = “search” into the php file and added <label for =“search” to the searchform.php file it was sorted. That took a bit of troubleshooting for sure.
The NU HTML checker flagged some role distinctions that are not required for certain elements in HTML. I could tell that these roles were not needed in my updated child theme, so I removed the tags. These needed to be altered in the following files: header.php, index.php, sidebar.php and footer.php New versions of these files have all been added to both the child theme folder and my GitHub repository.
I got the footer displaying, not only my freshly minted WCAG 2.0 AA compliance badge1, but also my design credentials. Doesn’t sound like a big thing, but it took me a while to figure out how to adapt the nested php “echoes” from the parent theme for my own purposes. More soon…I’ll be working on wireframes this weekend.
AChecker. (2011). IDI web accessibility checker: Web accessibility checker. Retrieved October 21, 2016, from AChecker website
W3C. (2016). The W3C markup validation service. Retrieved October 21, 2016, from https://validator.w3.org/
I’ll have to keep testing this periodically as things that you add to specific posts can prompt warning. It is a good way to ensure that I pay as much attention to the mark-up as I do to the written content of this journal. ↩︎